Tuesday, July 12, 2011

SING YOU HOME Jodi Picoult

Have you ever read a book so compelling that you wanted to hug it and discuss it with every friend or enemy who also read it? I have read every one of Picoult's novels. This is her best.

"Music soothes the savage soul." 

I don't remember who first coined this phrase, but I recalled it as I read about Zoe Baxter, a music therapist who tries very hard to reconcile herself to a failed marriage, tough decisions about parenthood, and struggles with patients and families who doubt the effectiveness of music as a healing force.

Jodi Picoult, again, addresses a controversial and politically divisive subject. She explores the definition of family and the legal and moral issues associated with the concept of this phenomenon in our modern culture.

I could not put this book down. I read it on the trip home from Florida and recommended it to friends after I explained the issues Picoult addresses in her newest novel. Read it with an open mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment