Thursday, February 23, 2012

Anna Mae Vaughn Dugas September 23, 1924-February 16, 2012












My 87 year old mother, Anna Mae Vaughn Dugas, died last week. I grew up in the Village of Loreauville, Louisiana, USA, population 997, three numbers short of being classified a town. Our Dugas family consists of seven children, six females and one male, ages 49 to 65.

My sisters Wanda and Mercedes still live there. Our sister Cindy died a few years ago, a short time after the death of our Dad. Willette lives in Breaux Bridge, Louisiana, USA; my brother Tommy lives in Vienna, Virginia near Washington, District of Columbia, USA; and I live in Marietta, Georgia, USA. Someone described our family as an estrogen war zone.

The following message is directed to the people of my hometown of Loreauville, Louisiana:

Everyone who loses a parent loses the family anchor. Loreauvillians have unique situations, because many of your nuclear families still live near you. So, for those of us who live away, your desire to maintain connections is very meaningful.


Thank you for your condolences, both public and private, and your attendance at Mom's wake, funeral, cemetery ceremony, and celebration of her life at our family home.


My two children, Braden, 40, and Alicia, 35, are fluent in French. At the wake, the viewing of the body before the funeral mass, they were mesmerized by the recitation of the rosary in French by the Catholic Daughters, an organization of women dedicated to prayer, devotion to the saints, service to the community, and all things Catholic. I explained to them that their grandmother was the last living founding member of the Loreauville Catholic Daughters.

Many of you could not attend the funeral because it was held on a workday. I know you realize that the pastor of St. Joseph's Church, Father Buddy Hebert, is a godsend to the Loreauville community.

He delivered an uplifting, poignant homily. He eulogized Mom as she should have been described, a three dimensional character: personality, inner character, and actions.

Father Buddy spoke about his first time conducting Sunday mass in Loreauville. Mom waited to speak with him at the conclusion of the mass. He realized from that moment she was going to be a significant, formidable, and challenging person in the Loreauville community.

As he spoke, I pictured my Mom's soul being carried to Heaven on angels' wings. And throughout that journey, she lectured them on angelic behavior.

I will miss her, but her legacy of faith, community service, and dedication to family will live on in our memories.



2 comments:

  1. ashlee & robert harrisFebruary 23, 2012 at 4:10 PM

    well put...again our thoughts and prayers are with you...much love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was beautifully put, Pat! I wanted to go and pay my respects but was sick with bronchitis. I know everyone who knew her will miss her as will all of you...my condolences to all of you...
    Janina Savoy

    ReplyDelete