Tuesday, June 28, 2011

THE UNITED ME

Today I received a Spanish newspaper addressed to me.

Yesterday I received a clothing catalog marketed for women of color, also addressed to me.

A grandfatherly gentleman asked me as I grocery shopped at Publix if I was that lady on the soap opera. Huh? 

The owner of the Gyro place where I ate lunch today spoke to me in Farsi. I know because one of my best friends is from Iran.

A lady at Jazzercise asked if I was from Brazil.

A couple from New Jersey who asked to see the inside of our houseboat asked if I was Puerto Rican. I gasped. Enough already. I asked why he thought that. He said, "You're flying the Puerto Rican flag."  I glared at Larry. He flies at least ten flags on the top of our boat. We look like the United Nations building. He grinned and said, "I bought that flag on sale at Big Lots. It's red, white, and blue. See . . . ."

Any answers?

No comments:

Post a Comment