Sunday, September 12, 2010

BRAGGIN' RIGHTS

My eight year old granddaughter Talia is a replica of me.

I have trained her to be independent and to love shopping, dressing up, reading, playing, baking, and competing.

For years now, I have begged and cajoled her to play a team sport. She refused. She participates in gymnastics, drama classes, cooking classes, and swimming.

This year she joined a soccer team. She is the only girl on the team who has not played soccer before. Today I attended her first game accompanied by other family members and friends. Her jersey number is 5.

Her team, the Brazils, beat the USA team. We yelled for all the girls as they played. Teamwork is a challenge for these little girls. The heat and all that running for forty minutes, even with lots of breaks, was challenging.

Talia attempted eight goals. When she scored the first goal, she jumped into the air and yelled. She made three goals, and one of her teammates scored another goal.

I was amazed as my prissy little granddaughter aggressively chased that soccer ball, stole it from opposing team members, kicked it short distances as she manuevered around other players, and slammed it into the goal.

I commented to her dad, my son, that she contorted her face as she played with the same face I see when I suggest she clean her room.

Parents on the opposing team kept yelling, "Watch number five!" Her three year old brother Jake, uninterested in this exciting game, rolled in the grass, asked me for gum five times, and kicked an imaginary ball.

As the game ended, we ran onto the field to congratulate all the girls. It was obvious they all played for fun. I hope I didn't embarrass Talia when I yelled, "NUMBER FIVE IS MY GRANDDAUGHTER!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment