Monday, October 5, 2009

SWIM, SWAM, SWUM


CONJUGATION of ENGLISH VERBS

http://www.songsforteaching.com/grammarspelling.htm  [Songs for teaching Grammar]

SWIM, SWAM, SWUM
Present tense: I swim. ...........................I swim every day.
Present Perfect:I have swum..........I have swum in three rivers.
Past: I swam. ..............................Yesterday, I swam the entire lenth of the pool.
Past Perfect: I have swum. ............I have swum in the Olympics for the past forty years.
Future Perfect: I will have swum......By next month, I will have swum fifty laps.
Gerund: swimming.........Verb used as a noun........Swimming is my favorite sport.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

LIE, LAY, [helper verb+LAIN]  (to rest or recline)  ------no object after verb

Present tense: I lie........ I lie on the couch every afternoon.
Present Perfect:.....When I am lying on the couch, my cat snuggles up to me.
Past: I lay....I lay on the couch for two days when I had the flu.
Past Perfect: had lain....By Sunday, I had lain on the couch for three days.
Future Perfect: If I don't get rid of ths flu, by next week, I will have lain on the couch for four days.
Gerund: lying.......Lying on the couch is boring.
...........................................................................................................
LAY, LAID, [helper verb +LAID]---- (to place or put) ............requires an object---see italicized words.
Present tense: lay...I lay the book on the table.
Present Perfect: am laying......I am laying the book on the kitchen table so you can find it tomorrow.
Past: laid......Last night I laid the book on the table.
Past Perfect: had laid........By four o'clock, I had laid the foundation stone to start the job.
Future Perfect: will have laid........By noon we will have laid five organized stacks of newspaper on that table.

No comments:

Post a Comment