Thursday, October 1, 2009

ARMY OF WOMEN


ARMY OF WOMEN BREAST CANCER PROJECT

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=5941375&page=1


https://www.armyofwomen.org/getinvolved

http://apps.facebook.com/promotionshq/contests/7465/voteable_entries/1198190
THINK PINK!

I decided to participate in this ten-year study headed by Dr. Susan Love when I discovered that one of my five sisters was diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 58.

The Sister Study looked at the environmental, lifestyle, and genetic factors that may make some women more likely to develop breast cancer. Researchers needed to find 5,000 more volunteers to close the study. The first Army of Women Call to Action about the Sister Study was sent out on October 28, 2008. Within 48 hours, more than 35,000 women responded, and the researchers successfully enrolled 2,400 qualified women. A second Call to Action was sent on March 3, 2009. This time, more than 17,000 women responded. With the help of the Army of Women, researchers were able to officially close this study on March 30, 2009.

I volunteered for the study the first day it was announced. A few weeks later, a huge packet of information arrived by mail. It contained directions and several very detailed, multi-page forms requesting information about my early years-places lived, environmental factors, my siblings' health, and instructions about collecting physical evidence: fingernail and toenail clippings, cotton swabs for collecting dust on door frames in my home, and details about scheduling a time when a registered nurse would visit to collect more evidence.

A few months later resultswere  sent to me: a four page summary including a Diet Report, Nutrition Fact Sheet, and Participant Urinalysis Study. I was congratulated for the following: the amount of folate, calcium, and fruit and vegetables in my diet. I was cautioned to reduce fat and carbs. A list of nutrients that came from my diet included an assessment of: calories, total fat, saturated fat, cholesterol, beta-carotene, Vitamin C and folate, and vitamins from supplements.  I lsughed and cried when I read that my major calories were generated from chocolate candy, peanut butter, and dark bread; my total fat resulted from peanut butter, mayonnaise, and olive oil. Guess I should regulate the peanut butter. I was also given information on my average calorie intake, antioxidants from food, B vitamins from food, and minerals from food.

I will be contacted one year after my enrollment about a health status update.

Check out this comprehensive study for valuable information about women's health.

Participate in efforts to support research so a cure is found soon. 

1 comment:

  1. October is THE month! I wish all that participate the Best!

    ReplyDelete