Wednesday, September 16, 2009

SHOPPING


SHOP ON A DIME--LOOK LIKE A MILLION DOLLARS!

My husband worked in retail as the top manager of a popular mall department store for twenty years. When I discovered the tremendous markup on clothing and jewelry, I realized that sales meant little. Parking at the mall stumped me. Often in a rush to get to merchandise, I neglected to note the store entrance I used or where I parked my car. Then I realized the convenience of the mall parking security men. Not knowing their exact job description, I assumed they were modern-day knights rescuing damsels in distress. The vehicles were open, comfortable, and pokey, so I felt safe being driven down each of the parking lanes to find my car. On one occasion, we circled the parking lot for an hour looking for my car; then I realized that I had driven my husband's car. Oh, my. Life is taxing.

SERENDIPITY! Joseph Campbell, in his Follow Your Bliss lectures, was probably not thinking about shopping when he discussed the origin and meaning of this word. Making valuable discoveries by accident . . .

But I digress.
I shop at malls during the holidays, but other times during the year, I frequent boutiques, and some of my favorite outre du prix stores, T.J. Maxx, Marshall's, Ross, Bubba's Boutique, and Burlington Coat Factory.  Retailers should pay me for this information. I seldom plan shopping excursions. I conduct shopbys. If I have a doctor's appointment, I will be near the clean, new

Burlington Coat Factory near Town Center Mall. Some fantastic finds this year: a sateen wine knee length Hilary Radley lined coat marked down to $60, Gloria Vandrbilt stretch Classic Fit jeans $5.99, and popular designer shoes under $20. Scarves and wraps are a steal. A black wrap featured in Spiegel for $59 was priced $19.99. Clearanced coats are mixed in with regular priced coats. Search for color close to your size. Size often doesn't matter in discount stores as labels may be incorrect. Classic  or flashy fashion-forward Gallery jackets are priced from $20-$40. Angel perfume -$68; $100+ at Nordstrom. T.J. Maxx and Marshall's are owned by the same conglomerate, so check sister stores if you cannot find your size.

T.J. Maxx lucky finds: lightweight silver Vertigo [Paris] lined, belted knee length coat with store tags, $300 clearanced to $30! T. J. Maxx clearances great jewelry including designer pieces priced in the hundreds. Popular coin jewelry featured at unbelieveable price.

Value City has closed locations, except for the one on Buford Highway?? Last holiday season Waterford stemware [in every size], priced at $25 a stem, sold out on a Sunday morning in two hours. I noticed the ad in the Sunday morning paper. Be vigilant.

Bubba's Boutique, mostly accessories, in Roswell, clearances items up to 70%. Fabulous scarves for $4.

And Ross. The Destin store is fabulous. In July, popular label ankle-length summer dresses were clearanced $10.99- $14.99. If you need kitchen items, check out Ross. Fleur de Lis topped heavy glass canisters in every size, wine, red, and clear glass were priced $5.99 each. I noticed the same canisters, priced at $29.99 each, in a pricy catalogue.  I sped to two other Ross stores, and in two hours, found nine clear canisters. I gifted a few to my daughter. At these prices, it's worth a trip to sister stores to  find companion pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment