Tuesday, May 4, 2010

SLI USL ULL The University of Louisiana

Southwestern Louisiana Institute-University of Southwestern Louisiana- The University of Louisiana

I graduated from USL in 1968 with a Bachelor's degree in English Education, minors in Library Science and French. My husband's departure from the university was delayed because of his love of scholarship and Bouree, not necessarily in that order. I immediately entered Graduate school, but my Master's was postponed until the 80's while we moved from La to Texas, back to LA, then to GA.

Baker Hall, my residence as a freshman, meant that I had four roommates. My friend, Mary Beth, Blo Byars and a striking brunette from Eunice, and a thin, willowy blonde whose names escape me, shared the suite. Sadly, we lost touch. Like Harry Potter or a gnome, many nights I studied in a stairwell with my lamp to escape the constant activity. Growing up in a family of six girls, I had no problem walking down the hall to the community showers.

I graduated from USL in 1968 with a Bachelor's degree in English Education, minors in Library Science and French. My husband's departure from the university was delayed because of his love of scholarship and Bouree, not necessarily in that order. I immediately entered Graduate school, but my Master's was postponed until the 80's while we moved from La to Texas, back to LA, then to GA.

Baker Hall, my residence as a freshman, meant that I had four roommates. My friend, Mary Beth, Blo Byars and a striking brunette from Eunice, and a thin, willowy blonde whose names escape me, shared the suite. Sadly, we lost touch. Like Harry Potter or a gnome, many nights I studied in a stairwell with my lamp to escape the constant activity. Growing up in a family of six girls, I had no problem walking down the hall to the community showers.

I worked as a student aide to Dr. Mary Dichmann, English Department Head. Her secretary, Isabelle LeBlanc, a refined, gentle, and extremely professional soul took me under her wing. I did not realize until I worked at my first teaching job how much I learned about professional decorum, conversing with professors, and organization. Dr. Dichmann and Mrs. Champeaux attended my wedding in 1968.

Girls were not permitted to wear pants to class, so I had to wear a raincoat over my ballet clothes as I ran down campus to my next class.

As a Southwestern Sweetheart, I performed at half-time football games. Our dance coach told everyone to lose twenty pounds. I was a size 8. Tofu, yogurt, and energy bars did not exist. What to do!

A sophomore in Dr. Dichmann's class, I realized I was different from some of the other students who had attended larger schools with more comprehensive curricula. I felt somewhat better when Dr. Dichmann read an article from Harper¿s Magazine, which I have subscribed to all my adult life, and some girl in the class blurted out how much she loved the fashions in that magazine, Of course, she meant Harper¿s Bazaar. Oh my. I earned an A in that class because I studied feverishly. Imagine having a class with the head of the English Department who is also your boss!

I moved to Harris Hall the next year and roomed with Marguerite Castex, Marcella Eustis and her friend Susan, from New Orleans whose home I visited. In my senior year, l roomed with Harlene Nance from New Iberia. Deborah Dunstane from Port Allen and I became good friends. Our tall dorm Mother dressed impeccably: high heels, dresses, severe bun, and provocative makeup. I imagined if she smoked, she used a cigarette holder, like Cruella Deville. I was elected President of the Judiciary Board my senior year. Like the Salem witch trials, we condemned girls who missed curfew or made out in the bushes at the entrance to our dorm. Their punishment: confined to quarters, except for classes. I loved pounding that gavel!

Smoking was permitted in the basement of Harris which we used as a study room. I remember typing papers on a typewriter and using Liquid Paper or those crummy little white pieces of tape for corrections. Oh, and we typed footnoted at the bottom of each page, so we had to know the exact length of the footnote combined with the text or the entire page had to be retyped.

The summer before my senior year I took Shakespearean English with Mr. Broussard who demanded readings of 10 Shakespearean plays in six weeks. Scared straight, I escaped to my grandmother¿s house, sequestered in a guest room and poured over every line of each play. I still have those copious class notes, and I filled three blue books answering the essay exam. Lady Macbeth tells Macbeth, ¿Screw your courage to the sticking place,¿ a martial metaphor, and I did.

My all-time favorite professors were Dr. Milton Rickels and Dr. Pat Rickels. Non-natives of LA, but enamored of LA culture, they published and promoted engaging histories and stories about south Louisiana. Their American literature classes promoted scholarship as well as camaraderie. Students enjoyed a meal and engaging conversations at their home at the end of each semester.

I loved USL. My husband and I belong to the 1000+ member USL Alumni club in Marietta. Each fall we attend a gumbo cook off and in the spring a crawfish boil with crawfish imported from Louisiana.

No comments:

Post a Comment