Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Capturing Minutes





Capture the minutes not the milestones.


Time goes by so quickly. I discovered today that the last note I wrote in the journal I so diligently kept when our seven year old granddaughter was born was written three years ago.

I have so many pictures of milestones we celebrated with our grandchildren: holidays, school events, birthdays, vacations. Pictures capture images that we must connect to a special time. Notes we write in a journal, however, tell us more. Reminiscing about the summer day we caught a butterfly or sat on the backyard swing and told stories will resurrect real life minutes of ordinary days we spent together.

One of my journal entries recalled a conversation I had with my five year old granddaughter. We were covered with mud after spending an entire morning potting herbs. As we walked into the house, she told me that this was the funnest day she had ever had. I know my  heart was glowing.

Picture of grandson Jake, 2, helping me to water plants.

1 comment: